Back in the US

May 20, 2009

Well, a lot has happened in the last few months. We have moved back to the US as of about three weeks ago. When we originally moved to Mexico it was with the plan to stay one year. After a year and a half, we decided that we needed to move back to the US, though the decision was not an easy one to come by.

Reasons why we had to come back

  1. I'm pregnant (due end of October) and we wanted to take advantage of free childcare in the form of grandparents. Plus, hubby grew up with his grandparents in another country and he was only able to see them during his visits to Europe in the summer. He wanted his kid to live closer to his grandparents and see them often so they would have a closer relationship than he had with his.
  2. Because I have friends with kids in the US, I started to realize that the tests and medical care that I was receiving as a pregnant lady in Mexico were not the same as the tests and care my friends in the US were receiving and I guess I sort of panicked and wanted to be sure that everything was being checked. Also- hubby was tired of me having to translate everything the doctor said and was terrified that something would happen to me and he wouldn't be able to understand what was happening. (I had a girlfriend on standby to help with translation during labor and stuff, but he just felt more comfortable being in an English-speaking country).
  3. Though we were able to run our business from Mexico, we were not able to make the kind of income we were making in the States and so we were not saving as much. We didn't dip into savings, but we didn't create any additional savings either. This could be because we weren't working as much (by choice) or because it's harder to land small bread and butter jobs when you can't meet with people face to face. It's odd, a company is happy to spend $40k without seeing you, but if they're going to spend $5k they want to see you 15 times.
  4. The Swine Flu was making lots of news and though Quintana Roo claims not to have any cases of it, there are lots of Americans who contracted it on trips to QR, so someone isn't telling the truth. It's very bad for pregnant women to have any fever, let alone a severe one, and once you have symptoms they don't want to let you back in the US. We decided it would be better to have swine flu in the US.
So basically, it was time to leave. Our friends in Playa have bet that we will only make it one winter here, and they may be right. We certainly loved living in Mexico. I finally got fluent in Spanish and had a dream in Spanish and Hans got involved in mapping some of the cave systems. We've already decided that if they kid is an "easy" kid we'll be back some time in the near future.

I won't be updating this blog anymore, since it's about living in Mexico, not New Jersey. I haven't decided if I'll do another blog right now. I'm enjoying connecting over Facebook, which is alot easier than coming up with something interesting to write! So, thanks for reading and good luck in your travels and your life.

20 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Congratulations on the pregnancy. I thought something must be up. Your blog name was languishing at the bottom of my list.

It was great following your adventures. After all, they helped get me where I am now. If you decide to return to Mexico, please start blogging again.

Nancy said...

Good luck to you, parenthood has been one of the main joys of my life, and I'm sure it will be for you two.

My Way said...

Congrats to you and congrats on making a tough decision to move back. I totally think you made the right choice.

It was nice meeting you and hope you transition is smooth. :)

Mamacita Chilena said...

Congratulations! I totally understand wanting to have your baby in the U.S. Makes sense. Even after four years in Chile and this feeling more like home, than home home, I would still never have a baby here if I had the choice.

Good luck!!!! And let us know if you start a new blog :)

On Mexican Time said...

Felicidades y buena suerte!!!

Fned said...

Wow!!! Congrats on the happy news! I think your time in Mexico was well spent and am so glad you enjoyed your time in Playa. Now a new phase is beginning and I wish Hans and you a all the happiness in the years to come.

Fned.

P.S. Can I still use the DINKs motto? =)

Rosas Clan in Tulum said...

Congrats on the baby. I thin that you made a right decision for this part of your lives. At least for the reasons that you listed.

I moved here when my kids where 4 and 5 and that was perfect timing. You can always come back.

guaya said...

Hola, felicidades por el bebe por llegar!!! que emocion, que lastima que tuviste que regresar a estados unidos, esta es una buena zona para criar a un bebe, pero tambien entiendo que las cuestiones medicas son mejores en Estados Unidos.

Mucha Suerte, fue divertido leer tu blog.

Ilene Springer said...

All the best to you and your new family. Sounds like you made a very difficult but logical choice. Thanks for visiting my blog An-American-in-Malta.com---Ilene

Michele in Playa said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy!! I'm sure you will be back one day soon. ;) Mexico is a wonderful place to raise children should you choose to make it your home. Best of luck and happiness to you both!

Anna said...

I am missing you both terribly already but happy that you are settling in in New Jersey. Back for a long weekend for Michele's wedding on Aug 20-25 so we'll definitely catch up. Looking forward to seeing you looking very pregnant - I bet you can't wait. Julio and I are looking into buying a house and there will always be a spare room in it for you guys when you visit Cozumel:)

jillian said...

very cool. congratulations!

Guillermo - CEO Localyte.com said...

I just found your blog and want to invite you to join our exclusive Localyte network at no cost. By quickly embedding Localyte’s new widget in your site, you can immediately offer value to your readers.


I’ve built Localyte into an active community of over 30,000 local experts around the world who answer travelers’ questions for free. When travelers ask a question, they get an average of five personal responses from locals who share tips and secrets on their home towns. The travelers return again and again to read these responses, creating a unique opportunity for us to promote other products and services related to their destination.


With the Localyte widget on your site, you can also participate in 50% of the revenue we derive from your visitors who ask questions. And your visitors will never have to leave your website to ask their questions. That's it. It’s completely non-competitive and delivers great value to your readers!


If you’re interested in our widget, please just click http://www.localyte.com/getqwidget.php to go directly to the signup page.


This is an invitation-only offering, so please do not forward this to anyone else. However, if you know a friend that might fit well into this concept, please email me at guillermo@localyte.com with friends' names and emails, etc. and I'll reach out to them if there's a fit.


Thank you!


Guillermo Baensch
Chief Executive Officer
http://localyte.com
guillermo@localyte.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/localyte
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Localytecom/40815783907

Kyrin said...

I would love to pick your brain sometime. How can I find you on FB? Loved your Acroyoga pics!!

facebook.com/HavenVeritas

bathmate said...

Happy new year.
nice link. I like it so much. this link is very useful to every body. very nice posting

Bathmate

TeshaNaquin said...

0204全裸網,777露點聊天室,Hiav潮吹聊天館,utlive脫衣秀聊天室,口交俱樂部,18禁聊天館,影音俱樂部,無碼俱樂部,uthome脫衣秀做愛聊天室,Hiav下載裸照聊天館,777口交自慰俱樂部,0204正妹淫叫俱樂部,uthome脫衣秀做愛,av辣妹大奶,777口交影音,0204正妹淫叫,utlive網,av聊天館,777俱樂部,0204俱樂部,0204全裸網,Hiav潮吹聊天館,777露點聊天室,utlive脫衣秀聊天室,口交俱樂部,18禁聊天館,影音俱樂部,無碼俱樂部,0204正妹淫叫俱樂部,777口交自慰俱樂部,Hiav下載裸照聊天館,uthome脫衣秀做愛聊天室,0204正妹淫叫,777口交影音,av辣妹大奶,uthome脫衣秀做愛,0204俱樂部,777俱樂部,av聊天館,utlive網

愛鋒頭 said...

成人圖庫,口交技巧,成人18,自慰方法,Fleshlight,情色自拍貼圖,成人情色貼圖,少婦自拍,一夜情聊天,本土av,色情av,av圖片,色情聊天,成人情色網,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,情色少女貼圖,免費視 訊聊天網,av女優18,免費線上視訊fm358,avdvd免費AV女優,女優王國,做愛,無碼影片,情色交友

オテモヤン said...

オナニー
逆援助
SEX
フェラチオ
ソープ
逆援助
出張ホスト
手コキ
おっぱい
フェラチオ
中出し
セックス
デリヘル
包茎
逆援
性欲

Ikal Living - Playa del Carmen said...

Congrats! when is your next trip and post?

Francesca Maggi said...

I guess that changes your DINK status! Although a lot of people prefer being abroad due to free health&childcare (nursery schools).

Congrats.

Francesca Maggi
http://www.upyourbottom.com
collecting your hilarious language horror stories