Happy New Year and Juice Fast Day 1

Jan 10, 2009

Well, it's been a little while since I last posted. We celebrated New Years on Cozumel, the island of swallows and fertility, with Anna and our friends Cat and Christine who both came from far away to be here. I have some photos to post and I promise to get them up here this week.

I have been learning a lot about yogic eating and lifestyle in my yoga teacher training class, so I decided to give juice fasting a try. I'm on my first day today and I'd like to do 10 days, but we'll see how it goes. This is my first attempt at fasting, so I'm not sure what to expect. Luckily, I have the guidance of a fellow yogi and naturopath and Anna's yoga teacher is doing a special series on fasting, which I attended on Thursday and will attend again on Tuesday.

Anna asked me to keep an online journal so she can see what I'm experiencing as she plans some sort of fast with her yoga group. So, here goes... today was the first day, so I got up and made myself some juice. I'm sticking to mostly veggie juices with a little bit of fruit added in just for sweetness. I had yoga this morning followed by yoga teacher training class, which lasted until 2:30. I had another juice around 11:30 and I was doing well until I got super hungry around 2:45. I came home and made some more juice, showered and watched a movie. I was still hungry at 5 so I made a big veggie juice and that has tied me over until now. We're going out to the coffee shop with some friends later and that may be difficult, but I can always come home and go to bed!

I think that the late afternoons/evenings will be the hardest seeing as I was already having juice for breakfast for almost two weeks in preparation for the fast. Apparently, the second day is supposed to be the hardest, so we'll see how that goes. I'm thinking of rewarding myself with small things in the afternoon/evenings like manicures or massages, etc. So far, so good, though. I will keep you updated.

4 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

Wow, juice fasting definitely sounds like my idea of hell, but I wish you the very best of luck! Definitely update us to let us know how it's going!

Steve Cotton said...

And here I am eating a bag of potato chips. I certainly do not want to journal that. )Oops! I just did.) Best of luck on the quest.

Anna said...

Proud of you - I'm going to try it too. You'll look and feel great - I'm sure.

Anna

Michele in Playa said...

Good for you! I am shocked and appalled to report that I have gained ten pounds since Thanksgiving, and now it is time for it to go. I was thinking of doing a juice cleanse, jus to kick things off. Think I'll follow all of your progress and see how it goes. Good luck!