Allie and Anna's Right Jolly Good English Tour 2009

Dec 15, 2008

I have this obsession with not just traveling, but really seeing how it is to live in other places. That's why I love visiting places with people who live there or have lived there. So this got me to thinking... Now that Anna is no longer pushing papers and making phone calls and generally stressing out in the high-powered world of Maritime Law in New York City, she has the opportunity to go home to Newcastle, England for an extended holiday during the slow season here in Mexico. Why not go with her?

So, Anna and I are now planning our Right Jolly Good English Tour 2009 (she hasn't actually had a say in the name of the tour, so don't blame her for that ridiculousness). Basically, since we're both earning dollars and will be spending pounds while we're there (yikes!), we're doing this on a major budget, which means staying with friends instead of staying in hotels. This kind of stuff is totally up my alley (or Allie- see what I did there?).

Everything is still in the initial planning phase, but the idea is to spend 2 weeks (for me, 6 for her) in England going around and seeing things. Here's the tentative plan:

Stay for a few days in London (actually just outside London) with Anna's friend Sinead. Whilst we're there, we're going to take a tour out to Stonehenge because she's never seen it, I've never seen it and it's pretty close to London.

Then it's off on a cheapy cheap flight to Madrid to see the city and stay with Anna's friend Claire (Madrid is technically not England, but just bear with me). Then we'll head up to Barcelona (also not technically England... suspend disbelief and stay with me) and catch another cheapy cheap flight to Newcastle.

From Newcastle we're going to somehow aquire transportation through asking her brother or cousin to drive us around or borrowing her mom's car. We don't want to rent a car in England because they apparently ask for your first born at the car rental place and then they want your arm and/or leg at the gas station (seriously, I think gas is around $10 US a gallon there right now).

With said transportation, we're planning to go to Robin Hoods Bay because it's pretty, then spend some time in Leeds, where Anna went to University, with her friend Stu. From Leeds we intend to take a steam railway and see the Bronte House. We're also considering heading to Edinburgh for a day, since it's close to Newcastle and Anna has a friend there, too. Of course, we're also planning to see lots of Newcastle.

I'm really looking forward to this! I've been to England once, which was just to catch a bus between Gatwick and Heathrow on the way to Northern Ireland where I was visiting a penpal. I've never really seen anything except the highway, so this should be great fun.

This will probably take place in September, so I have about 9 months to save money! In the mean time, still enjoying Mexico and I will be updating the blog with more observations about life here shortly. I promise!

4 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

You should have a great time in Britain (since you are crossing that border to Scotland). You will now have all three kingdoms under your belt. You have shown your true anglophile stripes by blithely referring to Spain as if it were an extra county south of Sussex. And I like how you slipped "whilst" in there.

Fned said...

Your trip sounds AWESOME!! And if you find a way to fit Paris into all those "technically not England" stops, you guys are totally welcome to stay with us for as long as you like!

;D
Fned.

First Year Teacher said...

I'm wondering if you can give me any details or contacts where you studied yoga. I am thinking about doing yoga teacher training this summer. Thanks! viaserena@yahoo.com

Anna said...

I think you will fit in more than I do :)