Arráncame la Vida

Oct 1, 2008

Well, this movie was so good I had to go see it twice! Actually, two different friends wanted to go see it, so I saw it once and then saw it again because I wanted to and also because it was actually a little difficult to understand and I wanted a second shot at understanding some of the dialog I missed the first time.

The costumes, architecture and acting are all lovely. They really cast this movie well. I only wish they had shown a few more wide angles of some of the buildings and towns. There was a particularly beautiful scene when they showed a panorama of the beach in Veracruz. I leaned over to my friend who was watching it with me and who is from Veracruz and asked her if that's how the beaches really look in Veracruz and she said, "Yes, 40 years ago."

Now the beach in Veracruz is on my list of places to go before I die! I want to see those beautiful mountains that close to the ocean! Anyone have any recommendations for beaches over there? That might be a nice 2 or 3 week house swap!

The first time I watched it, I thought I was missing things because of the language they were using. See, they never taught me cuss words and other things in school (although I have been learning these things rapidly since living here). But what I really think it was was that there are various scenes where there is a lot of ambient noise, like at a party or concert, and I have trouble understanding people speaking over extra noise. The second time I watched it, I got more of the subtle humor, and I picked up a little more of what people were saying when they were talking in groups and whatnot.

The music was also great! I bet the soundtrack is wonderful. There are lots of old tunes in Spanish that I'm sure are as recognizable to native Spanish speakers as "Let's Misbehave" is for Americans.

I will probably watch this movie for a third time when it comes out on video just so I can see it with subtitles and see if I had missed any other subtleties. I have to say that this movie was harder to understand than some of the other Spanish language movies I have watched in the last few months. Next up is Segundo Aire.

5 comments:

Luis Fernando said...

Interesting review, I was not very eager to watch this movie, but after reading your post, I have changed my mind.

Besides, I want to see again to Ana Claudia Talancon. :)

Fned said...

Wow, Haven't heard of this movie yet, but will have to check it out soon! Sounds like it could be fun (I always love to hear the Mexican cuss... it makes me homesick! LOL)

As for Veracruz beaches... hmmm... careful what you wish for. My dad grew up in el Puerto de Veracruz so it's always held a very special place in my heart, but people that have been to the Caribe beaches and later gone to Veracruz come back completely disappointed. The sand is black and pebbly, the sea is dark and stormy and basically it's a different deal.

Still, it's a lot more authentic than some places on the Rivera Maya if you know what I mean.

Fned.
P.S. The STATE of Veracruz on the other hand is drop dead gorgeous... I totally recommend a trip there at some point!!

riverbelle said...

architecture and acting are all lovely. They really cast this movie well. I only wish they had shown a few more wide angles of some of the buildings and towns.

Gina said...

I just finished reading the book and I loved it!! Yes it is a sad story but that's the way things were in Mexico during that era. Can't wait to watch the movie now:)

pharmacy said...

I really like this site, it's so important to know more about this topic, keep it up and of course every time I have time I'll love to check out again