Seriously, I didn't fall off the face of the earth!

Sep 29, 2008

Things have been a little quiet around here lately, but it's because I've been pretty busy both with classes and just getting back into the swing of things around here.

For four of the days last week, I shadowed Anna's full cave diving class as a refresher. It was really great to go over the info again and practice some of the skills. As always, doing additional scuba training always makes me have a healthy respect for the sport, especially at such a technical level.

On Saturday I had my first meeting for my yoga teacher training class. We will be meeting twice a week for theory, history, etc. in addition to meeting regularly (suggested 6 times a week) just to take the regular yoga classes. At the end of three months, provided I do everything we're supposed to do and pass the quizzes, I will have a 200 hour certificate with the Yoga Alliance. I don't think I'm going to do much teaching around here (there are only about 5,237 yoga teachers in Playa del Carmen), but I am interested in using my certification when I get back to the States to teach yoga in Spanish. Then again, you never know and I am open to whichever direction life takes me.

In the meantime, I'm just sitting here biting my nails while I watch the American economy spiral downwards out of control. It's a little disconcerting, especially considering our jobs rely on the American economy to be healthy so people are spending their marketing dollars. Who knows, maybe that yoga certification will come in handy in more ways than one! ;)

I recently met a couple of new Mexican friends. I'm always on the lookout for friends who speak Spanish. I went to a BBQ with my German friend Angelika and some of her friends. It was a lot of fun to hang out talking about movies and music and general stuff. Everyone there was between 27 and 34, so it was kind of cool to see the differences between cultures for people of the same generation. For instance, the Mexicans and I knew of Menudo, but the Germans didn't. Everyone but me knew of Take That, I can't think of a single song of theirs that I remember.

Tonight I am going with my Spanish teacher to see Arráncame la Vida. I have heard great things about it. I love historical movies and it's been said that this was the most expensive movie that has been made in Mexico. I haven't spoken to anyone who didn't like it yet. I only wish I had time to read the book before I saw it, but I don't want to miss it on the big screen.

3 comments:

Calypso said...

Looking forward to the report on the film.

Saludos,
John Calypso

Gregorio said...

I started practicing yoga this summer, and I have been learning Spanish. I have been trying to learn the names of poses in Spanish, and I watch Aire Yoga on V-me TV to get the hang of yoga in Spanish. I read your post with interest. If yoga was offered in Spanish in my area, I would take classes. Oh, and thanks about the info on Arráncame la vida--I'll check it out.

pam said...

Was wondering where you fell!