No, I didn't fall off the face of the Earth

Sep 16, 2008

I had to go back to the US for a wedding, and as is usual for me, when I travel I like to forget about computers and just travel. I guess it has something to do with working on a computer all the time. It always takes a few days for me to adjust to being back in the swing of things when I get home and then I just don't feel like blogging for whatever reason. But I'm back now and I have lots of things to share!

We went back to NJ for a wedding, which happened to be the most extravagant wedding I have ever been to (and this is counting a wedding I went to for the daughter of a mayor in Jersey that was pretty over the top). The couple got married in St. Ann's Catholic Church in Hoboken, the same church that Sinatra and his family (and la famiglia- if you know what I mean) attended.

The reception had a cocktail hour followed by a three course meal. The cocktail hour alone had probably three times the amount of food that Hans and I had at our entire wedding. Everything came off perfectly and the bride and groom ended up married (which means it was a success in my book). They headed off the next day for a two week honeymoon in South Africa.

The maid of honor said the nicest toast at the reception, the main part of which I hope to be able to use myself someday (if I ever find myself in the position of matron of honor again). She said, "May your marriage be modern enough to survive these times and old fashioned enough to last forever." Aw.

But I'm back in Mexico now, gracias a dios. I really enjoyed this last trip to the states, which might be proof that I have finally gotten a breather from some of the things that bothered me about the US and am once again able to enjoy the efficiency and ease of life there, or maybe I just knew I'd be back in Mexico in a few days.

Either way, it was hard to leave. I truly enjoyed hanging out with Liza, even just hanging in her house or taking her doll of a son, William, to the park. I had a ball hiking with Liza and Sean and talking all things gossip (rest assured that we covered it all, politics, religion and celebrity news, with a little bit of our own stuff thrown in there). I went to lunch with Sean and a bunch of very smart women and we discussed our takes on the GOPs' choice of Sarah Palin and our reaction to her speech and the convention. It's interesting to hear educated people voice their well-thought-out opinions on these things, even if I don't agree with them. I miss those Saturday afternoon lunches with honest friends. But, I know that that is always waiting for me when I go back the NJ and that these people are only a phone call away.

Somehow, when I touched down in Mexico, my heart sighed and, even though it was hard to leave NJ, I felt like I was home again. I don't know if it will be my forever home, but it's my "right now" home and that feels good.

In other, less gooshy, sentimental news, I'm addicted to these Vampire books by Stephenie Meyer. Seriously. It's like they're my drug and I'm not kidding! When I was in NC a few weeks ago I was at a book store with my mom and she was recommending books to me. I told her that I refused to read anything that wasn't in Spanish because I had made a pact with myself regarding improving my fluency and reading in English was out. The lady behind the counter happened to hear me and told me she had accidently ordered the third book of the four book series in Spanish and would never be able to sell it. She made a deal with me that she would give me the book in Spanish if I would buy the first of the series in English. I let her twist my arm and bought the first one.

"You might want to buy the second one, too," she said, casually.

I thought about it, but I knew I had to go back to the states in 10 days for another wedding, so I figured I'd just pick it up when I got back, if I really wanted it.

Bad idea.

I read the first book in two days, which left me scratching my arms and tapping at my veins for the second one! I had to get my fix in the Houston Airport as soon as our flight touched down. I bought the second and the fourth right away, I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice.

Anyway, I read the second book on the airplane and during my stay in NJ and finished it. I started on the third, this time reading in Spanish, which was good because it slows me down a little. Now I'm on to the fourth and I only have a couple hundred pages to go.

If you haven't already read them, I highly, highly recommend Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. They're written for teenagers and they're NY Times Bestsellers, so they're super easy to read, but the stories are really compelling. And, they're good for teens and preteens because there's no sex, well it's alluded to, but only after marriage, so it sends a wholesome vampire message. The author is Mormon, so I guess that's to be expected. I'm not usually a beach read type of person and I LOVED these beach reads. Twilight the movie comes out this fall- woo hoo!

I'll be getting back to my regular train of thought and posting on life in Mexico shortly (only 200 pages till I'm free of my addiction). Happy Mexican Independence Day!

9 comments:

Fned said...

I know the feeling... I was(am) addicted to the Hana Yori Dango comic books... only 31 (of the 36 published japanese books) have been translated to French/English and each time a new one comes out I'm the first in line to buy it, I devour it on the subway (sometimes I regret not slowing down to enjoy them more- but then again I read them 2 or 3 times anyway) and when I turn the last page I'm already aching to read the next one.

Will have to check about those vampire books thou.

Glad to see you're back!
Fned.

Mamacita Chilena said...

I am reading Breaking Dawn right now. Dang, those books ADDICTING. So far I've finished every one in a night...

I heard the movie is going to be awful though.

Anna said...

I might have to have you in my future wedding just for that quote:)

Steve Cotton said...

I appreciate your comment about the joy of being able to sit with friends and discuss politics intelligently. I have stopped reading one Mexican forum. I am convinced that it is made up of people with some form of mental disease -- and they are the people on my political side. The trick is knowing people over a period of time. I wll need to build that type of relationship when I head south in 6 months.

Cat said...

I am glad for the overview of the book, my niece, Abigail, who just turned 13, was reading Twilight when she was here in Berlin...and she finished it. She moped around for a day asking "Do you think we can find a bookstore with English books?"

Of course I knew we could but I didn't have any hope that they would have a teenage vampire book! But, I was wrong!! We went to Thalia at Alexanderplatz and she found it in 30 seconds! She had an ear to ear grin! ...and 9 hours or air travel ahead of her!

Earlier in the day, before she got the book she had watched the trailer for the movie on my computer about 5 times!

It's a great idea to read simpler books in Spanish...I don't think my German is that good yet...I am looking forward to the day! ; )

mexpat said...

Fned- Japanese comic books? I'm going to have to check this out...

Mamacita- I watched the trailer and thought it looked horrible, mostly because the characters didn't look like they did in my head. I'm gonna see it anyway, but you know the book is always better than the movie. If you look on YouTube you can see pictures of the cast- the guy playing Jacob seems particularly well cast in the looks department, anyway...

Anna- I'll start practicing it in Spanish in case anything "happens" while you're here! :)

Steve- Beware of some of the expats in Mexico! :) People move here for lots of reasons, some of them are pretty radical...

Cat- Yes- I'm looking for another beach read in Spanish. I need a really quick and compelling story- maybe like a Michael Chriton (sp?) novel. These vampire books sure are a phenomenon!

Michele in Playa said...

Hola chica! I justreturned from a wedding NOB myself. Rob bought "Twilight" while we were there and I am looking forward to reading it although that's not really my preferred genre. Hope to see you guys soon.

Best wishes,
Another wacked out expat!

mexpat said...

Michele- beware of these books, I'm telling you, you'll get addicted! :) I have the second and fourth in English if you want to borrow them!

Fned said...

You HAD to talk about these books, didn't ya?!!

Ever since reading your post I'd been going every weekend or so to one of the bookstores that carry american/english books here asking about the S. Meyer's vampire stories.... always, always, always: sold out.

And then three nights ago, I got lucky... got my hands on the first one... read it in ONE night... went back to the store the next day at opening hours and bought the other three. Am going through them faster than Edward can run....

Ok, had to get that out of my system... now, if you excuse me, I got a date with a vampire and an ordinary girl.

;)
Fned.