Music in Spanish that I reallly like

Sep 18, 2008

A few weeks ago (yes, I've been that delinquent in blogging), Fned wrote a post on the French music that she likes and she posted the videos in her blog. I loved that idea! I've been a fan (hubby would say addicted) of music in Spanish for some time now. It's a great pass time for practicing my translation skill, and besides, I just liked the sound of some of these songs even before I knew what they were singing about. Here are some of my favorites (thanks for the idea Fned)!

La Vecina by Los Amigos Invisibles
This isn't the official video, I couldn't find it, but it has good enough audio quality. This is a Venezuelan band that now lives in NYC. I didn't get a chance to see them before I left, but I own the album this is off of and it's ALL good.


Lo que pidas by Julieta Venegas
Ok, I know JV is like a Mexican Madonna in terms of popularity, so I don't expect this one to surprise anyone. I just love this song, and it's good practice for listening to subjunctive tense constructions.


De amor y de casualidad by Jorge Drexler
This song is just so sweet. Imagine your dad writing you a song about where you came from. Just so sweet. A mix of love and chance. This is also not the official video, couldn't find it.


Me Gustaria by Javier Garcia
I love this song. This whole album is also good, by they way. I never imagined it having anything to do with a murderous stripper, but you know, I guess I have a naive way of looking at things...


Agua by Jarabe de Palo
Of course, this is another one that probably everyone knows, but I love Jarabe de Palo. This album was one of the first that I bought when I got into music in Spanish. Such a nice song.


I think 5 is enough for today. What are your favorite Spanish songs?

7 comments:

Julie Dufresne said...

I really like the Spanish singer Bebe, and her whole album called Pa Fuera Telaranas. I'm sure she has other albums but it's the most famous I think. Here is a link to one of her songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRuwd4dn4dw

But you must also listen to her song entitled Menseñara (I just didn't find the official video).

Personnally I also really like Mana (no surprise here!). There are so many great artists from Latin America yet to discover.

On my blog I also talk about music, movies, and other stuff from Mexico and Latin America in general. You can visit me here: http://nuestra-pequena-ventana.blogspot.com/

Steve Cotton said...

Kim of Boston convinced me to buy Chavela Vargas's Carnegie Hall CD. Iconic, but not particularly my favorite. Maybe I need to listen again.

YayaOrchid said...

I guess I'm too old to like those 'modern' rock bands. But I do like Julieta Venegas, and I too really like Bebe, especially her song about domestic violence. My fav would have to be Julieta, though. She is so multitalented, what with playing the accordion and I think even the violin while performing. Another blogger, "El Blog de Joy" also talks about her music preference and Julieta Venegas.

Gary Denness said...

I rarelt know who sings my favourite Latin music - I listen to the radio but never catch the details! But one band who's name I did manage to catch was Mana. I particularly like this song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkQuIPpKZoI

Leesa said...

Hello---

One of my all-time favs is of course, Mana! They are just sooo talented and I LOVE their music..
I also love Noelia, Thalia, and Laura Pausini (though she's Italian and sings in Spanish, as well), OV7, Nek (Italian sings in Spanish, too)... Alex Syntek, Juan Gabriel, Emmanuel, Luis Fonsi, Cheyenne, and many more....
I think my VERY VERY FAVORITE is Eros Ramazzotti- another Italian who sings Spanish versions for all of his Italian songs and is very well loved in the Latin community... I think even more than in the Italian community!!

YayaOrchid said...

Leesa, is that the guy who supposedly said all Mexican women had moustaches and were ugly? LOL!

river belle said...

The first time I watched it, I thought I was missing things because of the language they were using