Zeta Gas Never Ceases to Amaze

Jul 24, 2008

We had been out of gas for who knows how long. See, I don't do too much cooking at home and we have a little electric hotplate and a George Foreman grill, so even when I have to, I can do it without gas. The cold showers were actually refreshing. I was being lazy about ordering a refill and it wasn't until someone reminded me that if we get a hurricane and lose power we won't be able to cook without gas if we don't have any that I finally bit the bullet and headed over to Zeta.

The lady behind the counter spoke incredibly fast. I think I got about 70% of what she was saying. That always makes me feel like such a dud. Anyway, we put in our request and she told us something about how the trucks aren't in this area all the time anymore, since they're servicing Cancun now, too, so she didn't know when they would come and she gave us a number to call in case they didn't show up tomorrow.

I set my mind on a few weeks of waiting punctuated by new requests to Zeta, and we went home to get some lunch. On the way out the door for lunch (remember, I don't cook much) Hans said, "Hey! It's the Zeta Gas guy! Talk to him!"

Turns out they were looking for our apartment number (they aren't numbered, so it's not that helpful to give that info out). Zeta Gas processed our request and sent the guys out less than an hour after our first, that's FIRST, request was submitted! Unbelievable!

I have to say that the efficiency in this country is mind blowing. You see, I just always assume that nothing will happen in any sort of timely fashion here, so when it does it's like Christmas! See what I'm doing here with my expectations? Low. I've learned that as long as I don't expect the system to work, I'll always be surprised!

I can't believe that the company that is generally the bane of my existence delivered my gas almost immediately! Gotta love it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha...Good for you...

I had to stand on 307 one day and look for them and stop them on the way back to PDC. Often frustrating but fun...

Jack

mexpat said...

In our old neighborhood in Jersey they wouldn't run the gas lines out unless so many people on the block said they'd change their heating systems to gas. Some people had big tanks of gas so they could cook with it. We always thought that seemed like such a pain. Now we're thinking that it's not such a bad idea! Funny the things you get used to when there's no other way!

Mamacita Chilena said...

Keep your expectations low and they'll always be exceeded! Haha, I totally understand. If I didn't live every day that way in Chile too, I would walk around in an eternal rage and give myself a heart attack at the tender age of 24.

CancunCanuck said...

Low expectations are the key to living here sometimes. Glad you got your gas (we're still without, grrrr).

Anna said...

I guess I have all of this to look forward to. Still on target to hand in my resignation on Monday. looking forward to that cocktail on the beach!!! I will need it after this month:)

YayaOrchid said...

Glad you got your gas!

Meg said...

no gas here too, but happy you got yours!!

Cee said...

I guess I should lower my expectations with FedEx, they've lost my package and no one can give me a straight answer and this is in California!! Ack! Day 3, 5 phone calls in...nothing...
I guess my rash guards aren't as crucial as gas, but still...

mexpat said...

Mamacita- Yeah, I know plenty of American expats who walk around in an eternal fit of rage... :)

Canucka- Sounded like your building might blow up if you actually used your gas though! Yikes!

Anna- We'll definitely hit up a nice beach club for some adult bevvies!

Yaya- THanks!

Meg- I heard it's harder to get gas on Isla- at least Wayne has outlined how hard it can be sometimes!

Cee- One time FedEx "lost" my package, but when it finally arrived at it's destination it became apparent that the people in the FedEx office just forgot to send it on the day I brought it in!

Ale said...

hehe it is like when my husband says: "I'm be shocked [if this or that happens...]" and that is the easiest way for it to happen!

naveed ahmad khan said...

t was preeti good site then other when i visited last month
and got good information about work from home


work from home