Love in the Streets

Jul 7, 2008



This is an all too common sight here in Mexico. Yesterday, as we were leaving the apartment, we caught these two lovers in the act of making more babies. Unfortunately, if this dog has puppies they'll likely be scrawny street dogs themselves, unless someone in the expat community scoops them up and tries to find a good home for them.

In unrelated news, my in-laws have been in town, so we did lots of traveling (that's why it's been quiet here on the blog). We went to Holbox to swim with the whale sharks (awesome photos to come) and then stopped by Valladolid and Cenote Dzitnup and then Tulum. I'll be updating you on my travels soon.

5 comments:

Ale said...

Homeless doggies... that is something I don't miss!!! I loved that post by the way, the things you love about the place you live now, I might be a copycat if you don't mind!!

mexpat said...

The more the merrier! I would love to hear what you love about NC (or have you now moved to SC- I saw the Gaffney, SC peach on your blog).

Anonymous said...

Are you sure the dogs are connected? Hmmmmm must do yoga. I wonder what the dogs think as they watch the gringo population multiplying. Maybe 'More of them here to observe and be critical but never to get their hands dirty by doing anything'

mexpat said...

Yup, they're connected. Trust me, we watched them unable to separate. If you've ever seen dogs having sex, you know what I'm talking about.

I don't think dogs actually think more than basic things, like that they're hungry or have to go to the bathroom, but if they did, I'm sure they'd notice all the volunteer work the gringos do in Mexico from helping poor people construct cement roofs for their homes, making to helping vaccinate, spay, neuter and medically aid all the stray dogs and cats.

minshap said...

Seeing that picture reminded me of an embarrassing moment during my first 6 mos. in Mexico D.F.... I was at my friends' house - their parent's house in lovely Lindavista, and there were two dogs connected like that in the street... Having never seen dogs in the act, I was shocked by what I saw and thought the poor dogs were in trouble. So I ran out to the street to try to separate them... The Sra. told her kids: go and get that girl out of the street. The neighbors are laughing their heads off! But the most embarrassing part was when the family tried to explain to me the mechanics of canine sex... Definitely one of my more memorable Spanish lessons.