Salsa at Zebra in Tulum

May 26, 2008

We got back from the US last week and got right back into the swing of things here. Life goes on and now we don't have to go back to the states until August (for a wedding), followed by September (for another wedding).

Yesterday I had another variation on the theme of "perfect day." I slept late (ok, for me that's like 7:45, maybe 8, but still... late's late) and then met up with a couple girlfriends down at Mamitas Beach.

We sunned and swam and gossiped and had a good time for a few hours and then headed over to El Diez for some lovely steaks (try the Vacio... mmm) followed by an order of Flan topped with Cajeta, which is like dulce de leche. Then we went to our respective houses, showered and met up with some more friends to head down to La Zebra in Tulum for some salsa dancing.

I have been looking for the place to salsa dance since I got here. They don't seem to have any dance schools like we do in the states for ballroom dance, so it was just a matter of finding out where the good dancers go and learning the more advanced stuff off them.

We went with Yvonne, a friend from yoga, who is good friends with Gustavo who is an instructor at Bodeguita del Medio. We had tried Bodeguita one Wednesday night and there were like 50 women and 1 man, but apparently on Tuesdays and Thursdays the crowd is better. They have a lesson, but it's extremely basic, so it's not much use for learning about styling or whatever. ANYWAY... I learned that the good dancers go to Bodeguita and when they close around 1AM they head to Capitan Tequila.

La Zebra in Tulum is so nice. They have a nice beach front location with an elegant and romantic restaurant and bar. When you walk out onto the sand, there's a round, elevated dance floor (bisected by a couple palm trees) and a nice stage to the right. I didn't catch the name of the band, but they were excellent.

A fun time was had by all! I got to dance quite a bit, although they dance a lot of Cuban style salsa here and I learned New York style salsa (danced in a slot rather than in flowy circles and all over the place). I figure I'll learn more about Cuban style the more I stay here. I danced several times with a French guy who was a pretty good dancer (he learned in Cuba) but phew! I thought the whole "French people don't wear deodorant" thing was a stereotype... it seems to be not completely stereotype...

All in all, we decided that though this was one variation on the theme of perfect day, we'd like to try another variation: leave Playa around noon and head to Tulum, lay on the beach there, then dinner, a nap on the beach, then salsa dancing.

It's a shame that I didn't bring my camera. I seriously forgot all about it- I guess I just wasn't thinking about this blog! When the band took a break the professional dancers put on a show, which would have been cool to have a video of for the old blog... plus Anne, Becky and I all looked ravishing, so that would have been nice to have documented. We all decided to come back soon and I promise to bring my camera then.

In the meantime, I'm totally going to check out the Bodeguita again. I am so happy to meet some good dancers! It's such a cool way to meet people and I'm always on the lookout for more Mexican friends, how else is my Spanish going to get better!?! :)

1 comments:

Beth said...

How cool I'd love to learn to salsa. I'll have to put that on my ever-lengthening "to do" list!

Hubby and I took ballroom dancing a few years ago, but we've pretty much forgotten everything we learned....

I'm jealous - your day sounded WAY better than most of mine!!!