Because I know my mother-in-law is dying to know...

May 14, 2008

You may remember my whole hair trauma when I arrived in Mexico. Now that I've been here for about 4 and 1/2 months, I think I've finally figured it out... (fingers crossed)!

When I was in Jersey last week I bought so many different leave in conditioners and other salon-level hair products that it looked like I was planning on opening my own salon when I got back. I tried them all in Jersey, but, of course, my hair acts normal there in the normal water and low humidity. So I was excited to try them in various combinations when I got back to Mexico. Here's what seems to be the best method for getting normal, non-frizzy, non-greasy looking hair while in Mexico (provided you have fine hair that likes to wave but not curl convincingly):

I really like Aveda products, but sometimes they can be really heavy on the hair. Since I wash my hair pretty often here due to swimming in the ocean, diving and sweating at the gym, the Damage Remedy Restructuring Shampoo from Aveda is really nice. It doesn't seem too stripping and it's made from natural plant extracts, which is cool.

Oddly enough, if I follow it up with the corresponding conditioner, it's too heavy. So, I've found that the Redkin All Soft Heavy Cream Conditioner is better. And the best part is that it's available in Mexico. (I haven't seen anywhere, including salons, that sells Aveda here).

The most embarrassing part of the hair regime is that I actually really love the Create Weightless Smooth leave in conditioner by Jonathan Antin. You may remember him as the complete and utter jackass that was starting his own salon on the Bravo series, Blow Out. I was addicted to that show because he was such an immature, sniveling, L.A., bratty hairstylist and it was fun to watch how crazy he would get. I felt truly sorry for the poor people who had to work in his salon and deal with his crap.

That being said, his hair product line totally kicks butt. And it's vegan (which I'm pretty sure any haircare product could also say- I never see eggs or meat or dairy listed in the ingredients of other hair products).

Anyway, this combo actually lets me air dry my hair without it looking like a frizz ball. NICE. and when I'm in Jersey and I blow my hair out (because, let's face it, I'm not using a blow dryer unless it's under 90 degrees or I'm in air conditioning) it looks great, smooth and shiny.

And with that, I leave you with these...

Here's Sascha Baron Cohen as Bruno (the flaming gay Austrian reporter) interviewing Jonathan:


And this one's just priceless:

5 comments:

Fancy said...

Ok I know this is weird to comment you when I don't know you... I happened upon your blog as I was searching for info about Playa (and I love reading it!) - I will be coming down there in July to stay for 2 months.... I am at a loss for where I will live and whether I should bring my computer etcetera.... I'd love any tips you may have. I blog on here at ramblingnancy.blogspot.com - if you have the time and are willing perhaps you could email me? adjoavi@aol.com with any tips for a summer in Playa?

JJ said...

Ohhhhh my gosh how I love/really don't love Jonathan Antin! I miss "Blow Out" - such a train wreck! Thanks for reminding me about him, and really for your advice on the products. Much as I am sure he doesn't need my support, I might just have to look into that product. I have the same problem with frizz as you do, it sounds like, only I describe my hair in the humidity as a giant Q-Tip on my head. Nice...

Beth said...

Smells! One of my favourite smells is the smell of a campfire! It always makes me think of sitting around with good friends, cold beer and lots of laughs!

Fned said...

I've yet to find the perfect shampoo+conditionner combo that wont leave my hair looking like an "estropajo" everytime I wash it.... but then again, it might be that shampoo/conditionner is just about it when it comes to my hair-caring rutine (no blow-dring, moisterizing masks, oil treatments or anything else for that matter).

Still, while I was in Japan I bought a Shiseido hair traveller's kit and I kindda liked the results. I'm not sure what exactly is in it or for what type of hair it's intentioned (it's all written in Japanese) but so far it's turned out nice.

But then again, it could have simbly been related to the water in Japan.

Fned.

beachin77 said...

duuuude, that is so heavy! too funny! i love the way sascha is able to get his guests to say the craziest stuff! there's a really funny clip on youtube (which my mexican friend calls you-tu-bee) with ali g interviewing a dea agent - too funny! btw - i am loving your blog!