Sangre de mi Sangre or Padre Nuestro

Apr 1, 2008


Last night I went to Plaza Las Americas to see my first movie completely in Spanish without subtitles, Sangre de mi Sangre or, as I think it's called in the U.S., Padre Nuestro.

I was a little nervous about seeing a film in Spanish because before I moved here I had only watched a handful of films without subtitles and I had to watch them like 3 or 4 times to make sure I understood what was even happening. I think I was understanding somewhere near 75-80% of what they were saying.

Sangre de mi Sangre is a Mexican movie about a couple of boys who catch a lift in the back of a semi to New York. Their stories are radically different, one is a thief and the other is an honest guy. I don't want to spoil the movie for people who might go see it (because it's really good, if heavy), but suffice it to say that New York is probably easier to be in if you're a thief.

The movie is really well made, the acting is top notch and the shots of New York were really realistic. All too often movies make New York look like the land of milk and honey. I'm sure it is for some, but it's more realistically a place where the weather is unbelievably cold and all the doors are made of metal, locked and covered in graffiti. Ok, not that bad, but that is an element of NYC, and being an honest guy just trying to find your dad is not going to win you the help of anyone.

Anyway, I did really well with understanding the dialog. There were a couple parts I didn't catch completely, but got the sentiment- like all the slang and cussing in the kitchen of the restaurant where the dad works, some of the witty one liners that other people laughed at in the theater, and one part where the main character is talking about what he did with a prostitute (my friend said it was good I didn't understand that because it was awful).

I have to say that my comprehension level was much better than it would have been 4 months ago because I've been living here. Before I got to Mexico I didn't know specifically Mexican words and sayings, like basically all the cuss words, "Que Padre" or "es padrisimo" or anything referred to "Padre" (which basically is like "cool"), "chavo" which is like "guy" (I knew "tipo" which I think is more Spain-Spanish), etc.

So I would say that my first Spanish movie viewing experience was successful. I had a really good time and I would highly recommend that movie. It's not for people who need happy endings or don't want to see the gritty side of NYC life, but if you're into artsy movies with a message, it's great.

4 comments:

wayne said...

Hey MexPat! I need your email address like NOW if you still want to be included in the blogger meeting happenings. I need to make dinner reservations, etc for a definate number of people. Please send me your email so I can add you to the information sharing/gathering list. Thanks.
islagringo@yahoo.com

mexpat said...

Hi Wayne,
Sorry about that- I thought I had told Cancun Canuck! Unfortunately, I have a friend coming in from the states over that weekend and I have to cancel my Blogger Meetup RSVP. I'm bummed to be missing it, but this is one of my very good friends coming in, so I can't miss her stay, either.

Mamacita Chilena said...

That sounds like a really good movie! Don't you feel so accomplished that you can understand a movie with no subtitles?

By the way, in Chile tipo is guy too...and girl is mina, like a mine because they consider women to be natural resources.

Jeffrey said...

This sounds like a great movie. The first time I saw a movie in Spanish (without English subtitles) was when I saw "Wedding Crashers" in Spain (in Spanish it's called "De Boda en Boda"). I hadn't seen it before that, but I got the jist of what was going on, although Vince Vaughn speaks extremely fast already. It was a bit difficult to follow the slang, colloquial terms, and Andalusian accent, but in the end I knew it was a pretty good movie. It's a great way to become accustomed to the way native speakers produce the language. Good luck with your next Mexican movie-going experience!