What's New in Mexico, not to be confused with New Mexico...

Feb 26, 2008

We finally got our contract signed (and notarized- a much more involved process than in the US) with our landlord, so we were able to go over to Cablemas and set up an account. Now we just have to be at home between 9 and 2 for the next ten days until the guy comes (and you thought the one day range that they give you in the US was bad)! I'm looking forward to watching some TV- it's like a free tutor!

I signed up for a membership at The Gym. After a failed attempt at going to Muscle Beach Gym (dude, they don't have AC, I need AC if I'm going to be working out like that), we decided to check out The Gym, since that's where most of our friends go.

It's a super nice, though small, gym that has all the amenities that you'd expect in a top notch gym (save maybe the steam room and sauna, but it's 85 degrees and humid outside). I have been using the weights and running on the treadmill. I took a yoga class once and it was good, I just find that I squeeze in the gym where I can to fight insomnia- more about that later.

I had read about podrunner a while ago but never tried it. Recently I downloaded a bunch of their podcasts. They offer about an hour of techno music at a steady beat so you can run along. I could never run with music before because I would change pace to keep up with whatever song I was listening to, so it became like interval training every time! Anyway, I've been digging running along with my podrunner while I read the spanish subtitles for The OC or That 70's Show on the TVs in front of the treadmills. Reading in Spanish really distracts me because it takes a lot of attention to read it before they change to the next line!

For the last, say, year and a half, I've suffered from mild insomnia. Basically, if I don't do some sort of exercise every day that gets my heart rate up (20 minutes on the treadmill will suffice) I inevitably will wake up and be awake for between 1-4 hours at night. It is a supreme pain in the ass. At least it's not like Ambien-requiring insomnia, it's just "get off your fat ass and do something" insomnia... I can handle that.

Let's see, anything else? We went to Akumal again on Sunday, but the video we shot was crap, so don't be expecting another little video of the turtles any time soon. Also- Hans' mom gets into town tomorrow night, so we might head down to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere to see how the beaches are there. We'll probably also hit some ruins along the way, lunch in Tulum at Pollo Bronco (por supuesto), maybe hit a beach club, probably eat some tacos al pastor somewhere... you get the idea.

I guess that's it, as my brother-in-law would say, we're just "lifin' it."*

*© 2008 Jim Brice. All rights Reserved. Duplication of this term is prohibited without express written permission from it's creator.

3 comments:

THE BRICES said...

NICE!!!!

Fned said...

Congrats on the contract and hope you get your cable soon!! I could not live without the news every morning.. it helps me get my day going!

Wow, I wish I had such a good reason like you do to go to workout everyday (and stick to it)...

I know that if I sign on to the gym that's right accross the street from our place with nothing but a lame reason like "staying in shape" I will not last more than 2 days...

You think I can trick myself into thinking I have mild insomnia too by drinking a couple of expressos before going to bed? LOL

Fned.

Mamacita Chilena said...

Cool, hope you don't have to wait forever for the people to come! Here they always give you like a two day window, then you end up waiting four days. And when you've finally given up all hope that they're coming and leave your house, they come on the fifth day when nobody is home.

And so the cycle begins...