Akumal: A Nice Sunday Afternoon

Feb 18, 2008

A couple weeks ago we decided to check out Akumal and our new underwater housing for our video camera. Akumal is a small bay where there is a sea turtle sanctuary. You can wade out into the water and snorkle with the sea turtles and the sting rays.

There are tons of pelicans and I love watching them dive for their lunches. We even saw one dive into the side of a boat. Luckily, he was ok, but noise of his head hitting the side of the boat was pretty loud!

There were lots of kids around (mostly speaking Italian). At one point I was drifting back and forth between napping and laying in the sun when this little guy, maybe 3 years old, squatted next to my head and said something in Italian. He scared the crap out of me! Of course, he was almost as scared as I was when he realized I wasn't his mom! Lol!

We made this little video with the new underwater housing. I hope we don't make anyone motion sick... it has a mirror that reflects the video image, so to follow the turtle you have to go opposite of the direction it looks like the turtle is going... It took us a while to figure it out. Actually, I'm not sure we ever really figured it out.

The pelican clip is from the little point and shoot camera, which is why the aspect ratio is different, making it look a little blurry. And yes, that is a kid's song... what?



video

4 comments:

CancunCanuck said...

Wow, great video! Loving the marine packs that are available now. More, more!

JJ said...

Great video! Sounds like a wonderful day with the turtles and pelicans (pelicans are my favorite)!

mexpat said...

Thanks guys! We should have added the red filter to make the color a little better, but that's why we had to try to see how it'd turn out!

Grant Hansen said...

Very cool video. I love the music. Nice job with keeping pace with turtle!