Life around here and getting ready for Mexico!

Nov 19, 2007

So we've set the date of the first week of January to move to Playa del Carmen. We're going for two weeks in December to look at apartments and generally try living and working from there. It's pretty exciting, but it's meant that we seriously need to look at the amount of crap we have and what we're going to do with it, so that's what we've been doing the last few days.

Hubby spent all weekend going through the three filing cabinets that we had stuffed and removing all old bills (like so old we will never need them for anything) and old contracts, other random stuff we thought we should file, etc. We made three boxes of papers to be recycled and 5 bags of shredded papers that we recycled after making sure that no one could read anything on them.

Meanwhile, I went through the closets and boxed up stuff that we plan to put in storage, like china and high school diplomas, photos, etc. I also made a pile for Good Will and a pile for the garbage. We're going to get a storage area for our china and stuff, plus we have a lot of paintings that I did and that hubby's uncle did and we're not taking them to Mexico. Then there's a couple items of furniture and appliances that we don't want to have to buy again when we move back.

Today I had to rush around like an idiot because I've been procrastinating. We wanted to go to the Mexican consulate to get our visa, but apparently they're sticklers for small things like your name being the same on your passport and drivers license... sheesh! So I had to go over to the social security office today and get my card changed over to my married name (what, it's only been 6 1/2 years!). Then I had to get everything in order and get some photos and send off a bunch of crap and money to get my new passport with my married name. Fortunately, this shouldn't hold us up... I should have my new passport sometime next week, just in time to change the plane ticket to reflect the new name so we can get outta here on Dec 5th!

Meanwhile, Thanksgiving is coming up and we're going to the beach in South Carolina for the end of the week to visit family. It should be fun. We'll be dropping off the cat with my sister, so that will be one less thing to worry about.

Finally, I went salsa dancing last Thursday and had such a great time! I gotta say that I love salsa dancing with guys who are good leaders! There was a lesson before the good people got out there to dance, so I caught up and learned a little and then got to have fun. I even got to dance with the teacher, which was a lot of fun. After that I looked up to see if there was any salsa in Playa del Carmen and it turns out that there is at least one club that has it on Thursday nights. That's good because my personal trainer is Mexican and he always swears that Mexicans don't dance like Cubans or even Colombians. Glad to see there's some dancing happening anyway.

I also went to see Love in the Time of Cholera. It really followed the book, so it was good, but long. Lovely scenery and of course, Benjamin Bratt always is nice to look at. mmm.

3 comments:

Mexico Way said...

Good luck with your plans! I know all the plans before actually getting here is probably more stressful than finally arriving and trying to sort everything out! :)

Mexico Way said...

I've added a link to your blog. Hope you don't mind. :)

mamacita chilena said...

SOOOOOOOO exciting!!!! The big day is almost here. I can't wait to start reading about your new life in Mexico, and I'm sure you can't wait to get down there and get settled...

My packing advice to you, bring less than you think you need.