40 Cuban Migrants Sneak Ashore During Coast Guard Training Drill

Mar 9, 2007

I was catching up on my news when I ran across this story on the BBC site.

For some reason, I thought people weren't leaving Cuba in such large groups anymore! It makes me want to move to Florida and work in some way assisting immigrants to adjust to the US or something. I am sure that most of the people who were found on two different beaches probably have family in Miami or New Jersey or wherever, and that adjusting won't be that hard for them, but it would be a rewarding job to have.

I remember hearing about when Jimmy Buffett found four Cubans on his dock. There were two men and two women and they had come over in a raft. Jimmy Buffett invited them in, gave them some Cokes and the women combed their hair and washed up while Jimmy Buffett called INS to report he had some Cubans at his house! Apparently, as long as they make it ashore, they're allowed to stay, it's if the get interceded while they're afloat that they have to go back to Cuba.

Immigration issues also make me think of that Indigo Girls song, "Shame on You," where the police stop her to search her car and tell her they're looking for illegal immigrants. She says, "Funny, I think we were on the same boat back in 1694!" Yeah, exactly. Here, check it out:

0 comments: